Go to the Stoolball England home page

Minutes of the Management Committee, January 2014

Wednesday 5 February 2014, 10.42pm

The Stoolball England Management Committee met at 53 Kings Road, Horsham, on Monday 27 January 2014 at 7.45pm.

1. Present

  • Shirley Reed (President)
  • John Price (Chairman)
  • Richard Emsley (Vice-Chairman and Membership)
  • Kay Price (Secretary)
  • Trevor Parsons (Treasurer)
  • Rick Mason (Website Administrator)
  • Michael Ledwich (Insurance and Governance)
  • Sally Booker (Schools Academy Manager)
  • Anita Broad (Research and Education)

2. Apologies for absence

  • Becky Hull (Coaching Development)
  • Ruth Arthur (Coaching Development)
  • Kelvin Speirs (Rules and Umpires)

3. Minutes of the last Management meeting

The minutes of the last meeting were approved and signed as a true record.

4. Matters arising

  1. James Gardiner (SKiL) made a presentation at the last Management Meeting and it was agreed that this was a project that we would like to be associated with and it would promote stoolball in an area of need.
  2. Peter Gray, Factory Eleven: Stoolball England met with Mr Gray before Christmas and he brought samples of plastic wickets which would be suitable for use in junior and primary schools.  This will be pursued.
  3. The “Up for it” booklet is produced by Horsham Leisure Link, a sporting department within Horsham District Council, and brought out in April.  This booklet will be circulated to all the schools in the Horsham area and this year will contain details and dates of the newly started Horsham Stoolball Academy thanks to Sally Booker.
  4. The Stoolball England Child Protection policy has now been updated.  The changes related to an extra signatory, and an addition to the “aims” and “dissolution” clauses.
  5. Women’s Sports Net have contacted Stoolball England with some suggestions for future collaboration.
  6. Midhurst-Rother Academy has contacted Stoolball England to request some stoolball coaching in the summer term and would like to organise a Year 7/8/9 tournament for schools in the area.  Shirley Reed to organise a meeting with the head of PE.
  7. A request to renew their CRB (DBS) checks was received from some members of the Management Committee – this will be completed as soon as possible
  8. The final results of the Small Grants funding bid were submitted in October and were accepted.
  9. The amendments to the Constitution were approved at the Annual General Meeting.
  10. It was confirmed that Coaching Solutions who produced the stoolball DVDs were agreeable that their “Let’s Play Stoolball” and Coaching pack of DVDs could be sold on the internet along with the Coaching Manual produced by Melissa Mantle.

5. Treasurer’s report

Trevor Parsons reported that there has only been a small amount of financial activity since the AGM in November and the accounts show a profit of £118.   He also suggested that everyone should be very satisfied with the build-up of finances over the last few years and the progress that we have been making.  He was again congratulated on an excellent year’s work.

6. Succession planning

As was announced at the AGM, the Chairman John Price will not be standing for re-election next November and it is important that a replacement is found.

7. Job descriptions

Following on from the previous item, it was proposed that all the Management Committee members should write their own job description so that any person taking over the role will be fully aware of their commitment.  To date the job descriptions for the Treasurer and Website Manager have been completed and the Chairman’s is nearing completion.  The remainder should be completed before the next meeting at the end of February.

8. Community and major events

  • We have received invitations to attend the following events in 2014:
    • Gloucester (24/25 May)
    • TakePart at Preston Park, Brighton (21 June)
    • Sparks in the Park, Horsham (13 July)

    It was agreed that we would attend the Gloucester event on Saturday 24th only.  It was also suggested that the Secretary find out about a City event in Brighton which takes place on one of the days during the two weeks of TakePart.  We have accepted the invitations for TakePart and Sparks in the Park.

  • Sussex School Games – 10 July at K2 Crawley and at the adjacent Thomas Bennett Community College.  Sally Booker and Anita Broad have volunteered to help at this event.  Further volunteers are needed.   This year the Year 7/8 Schools’ Championship will be held on Tuesday 17 June at Plumpton.

9. England Mixed stoolball match

A date and venue are still to be confirmed.  A suggested ground at St Andrew’s School in Eastbourne is being considered.  We will contact Cindy Cavie and Trina Perry to arrange a meeting.

It was agreed that the series of events which took place during September 2013 were very exhausting and took a lot of organization.  As a result, it was decided that, in future years, the England senior game will be held annually in the afternoon with the Over 50s and Under 21s matches held alternately in the morning.  In the event that the mixed game is well received, then the same format will be followed.

10. Sussex CCC

John and Kay Price are meeting up with Zac Toumazi at the Hove County Cricket Ground on 5 February 2014.

11. Schools coaching in 2014

Stoolball received some excellent publicity and advertisement from the Heritage Lottery project that Anita Broad masterminded during 2013.  Since Becky Hull and Ruth Arthur were not able to come to the meeting, John and Kay would meet up with them to discuss the coaching they would be available to do during 2014.

12. Insurance and website

Quotes for our insurance are still awaited and will hopefully be available at the next meeting.  On the website, there is currently a 20% offer available for clothing but this has produced very little movement.

13. Let’s Play Stoolball! and Sporting Heritage Day

Val and Errol Whitter are currently finalising the “Let’s Play Stoolball!” DVD and are waiting for Anita to agree the film credits.

14. Five Year Plan

Feedback has already been received from Rick Mason and is awaited from the remainder of the Management Committee.  Rick forwarded a copy of the previous document to Anita and Michael.  Action all Management Committee members.

15. Constitution

A thorough review of the Constitution was needed this year and the Secretary asked for volunteers to make up a working party to deal with this.  Sally Booker and Michael Ledwich volunteered to take part in the review and since it was decided that this should take place in February, dates were discussed.

16. Any other business

  1. Surrey Ladies coaching package:  A coaching package involving a Level One coaching course, a Child Protection workshop and a CRB (DBS) check for an inclusive sum was agreed.
  2. Level Two coaching course:  Several players have requested this course, so we will contact Helen Murdock to ascertain her availability, preferably before the start of the season.
  3. Jubilee celebrations:  We have been approached to find out what stoolball events took place as a result of the jubilee celebrations in 1977, 2002 and 2012.
  4. As the result of discussions with Val and Errol Whitter, it was agreed that footage of the 2013 England games will be put on the Stoolball England website,Facebook and Twitter.
  5. Anita Broad – she is working on a new project for this summer and will update us at the next meeting.
  6. Rules review:  The Secretary reminded the meeting that the rules will be reviewed in October this year and would appreciate it if members would publicise this to their leagues and clubs.
  7. Dripping Pan (Lewes FC) and Lewes RFC:  Both these clubs have approached us regarding summer use of their grounds.  Lewes RFC have been given support for a funding bid that they have just submitted and Lewes FC are hoping to run a stoolball little league for youngsters during the summer months.  It was agreed to help both these sporting bodies with equipment and DVDs as required.
  8. The Treasurer discussed the possibility of using chip and pin to use when selling our stoolball equipment.  The potential costs were considered and it was agreed to purchase one.
  9. Following on from this discussion, Michael Ledwich asked about the possibility of using electronic transfers for our insurance payments.  Trevor Parsons agreed to give Michael details.
  10. Richard Emsley to provide details of the affiliated groups to the Treasurer.
  11. Anita Broad spoke of a meeting with Maureen Adams (Stearman) at the Weald & Downlands Sussex Day during last summer.  Maureen belonged to the Outlaws Stoolball Club who were part of the Brighton & District Mixed Stoolball league and she has two scrapbooks containing newspaper cuttings from between 1960 and 1972 which we would like to add to our records.
  12. Anita Broad showed the meeting some car magnets which fit on the outside of the car and were obtained from Vista Print.
  13. Safeguarding and Risk Assessment documents:  Shirley Reed passed on the thanks of the indoor stoolball league in Midhurst who needed these documents to present to the local authorities and as a result are moving into a newly built sports hall from March onwards.

With apologies to everyone for the lateness of the hour, the meeting closed at 11.15pm.

 John and Kay Price
2 February 2014

Meeting dates for your diary

  • February:               Monday 24 February 2014
  • March:                   Monday 24 March 2014
  • April:                      Friday 25 April 2014
  • May:                      Friday 30 May 2014
  • June:                     Friday 20 June 2014
  • July:                       Friday 25 July 2014
  • August:                  Friday 29 August 2014
  • September:           Friday 26 September 2014
  • October:                Monday 27 October 2014
  • November:            AGM Sunday 30 November 2014
  • December:            No meeting

Other dates for your diary

  • Saturday 24 May 2014 at Barnwood in Gloucester (community sports event) 12-4pm
  • Tuesday 17 June 2014 – Year 7/8 finals at Plumpton 9.30-3pm
  • Saturday 21 June 2014 – TakePart in Preston Park in Brighton 12-5pm
  • Thursday 10 July 2014 – Sussex School Games, K2 Crawley 11-3.30pm
  • Sunday 13 July 2014 at Horsham, Sparks in the Park, 12-4pm
  • Wednesday 30 July 2014 – Wealden Days (venue to be confirmed) 10-2pm
  • Wednesday 6 August 2014 – Wealden Days (venue to be confirmed) 10-2pm
  • Wednesday 13 August 2014 – Wealden Days (venue to be confirmed) 10-2pm
  • Wednesday 20 August 2014 – Wealden Days (venue to be confirmed) 10-2pm
  • Wednesday 27 August 2014 – Wealden Days (venue to be confirmed) 10-2pm
  • Sunday 7 September 2014 – Get Active Festival, Oaklands Park, Chichester, 12-4pm.

Tags: coaching, constitution, dvd, england, equipment, events, funding, history, insurance, lewes, meetings, rules, schools, surrey